In the final chapter of Daniel, there are 5 things you can look forward to: God rescuing the troubled, God raising the dead, God ruling the future, God refining the defiled, and God rewarding the faithful.
5 Things to Look Forward To: Daniel 12
- Erased all the fun things to look forward to off our calendar this week
- God has a calendar and hasn’t taken anything off
- Daniel is late 80’s or 90’s close to the end
- The end of time, or endtimes
#1. God Rescues the Troubled
Daniel 12:1 “At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book.
2 named angels – Gabriel (messenger) & Michael (warrior)
- Future trouble (some call this the tribulation)
- God can and does supernaturally deliver His people
1. Around it 2. Through it 3. From it (move home)
? Is your name written in God’s book? Guest list for eternal party
#2. God Raises the Dead
Daniel 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.
What are some false views of the afterlife?
1. Materialism/Naturalism – You have body no soul, cease to exist when you die
2. Universalism – Everyone is saved
3. Annihilationism – Everyone ceases to exist
4. Reincarnation & Purgatory – There is a second chance for salvation after death
5. Soul Sleep – Body & soul separated at death, reunited at resurrection
6. Cartoon heaven – Sistine chapel babies become angels
7. Revivification- Die and rise to die again (e.g. Lazarus)
- Physically alive
- Physically dead for a period
- Then physically alive in a perfected body never to die again
- “like the stars” – angels & divine beings who mirror the glory of God
#3. God Rules the Future
Daniel 12:4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.” 5 Then I, Daniel, looked, and behold, two others stood, one on this bank of the stream and one on that bank of the stream. 6 And someone said to the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the stream, “How long shall it be till the end of these wonders?” 7 And I heard the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the stream; he raised his right hand and his left hand toward heaven and swore by him who lives forever that it would be for a time, times, and half a time, and that when the shattering of the power of the holy people comes to an end all these things would be finished. 8 I heard, but I did not understand. Then I said, “O my lord, what shall be the outcome of these things?” 9 He said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are shut up and sealed until the time of the end.
- Divine beings, possibly angels
- Raising 2 hands is a double oath
- “I heard, but I did not understand” (faith comes by hearing, not understanding)
- History is recorded, sealed, & Jesus will come to open the seals
- Until then, live your life & trust your God
- “How long” – not answered
#4. God Refines the Guilty
Daniel 12:10 Many shall purify themselves and make themselves white and be refined, but the wicked shall act wickedly. And none of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand. 11 And from the time that the regular burnt offering is taken away and the abomination that makes desolate is set up, there shall be 1,290 days. 12 Blessed is he who waits and arrives at the 1,335 days.
Assault victims feel defiled & take shower
· Sin = 1. we sin 2. we are sinned against
· Defilement something put on you (feel like leper “unclean”)
- Shame = 1. Hiding from God 2. Covering from Others
- Roughly dozen Bible words – stain, defilement, filthy, unclean, dirty, polluted
1. Places – Samaria (walk around/avoid)
2. Objects – Heb. 13:4 “let the marriage bed be undefiled”
3. People – “unclean”
- Gen. 34:5 “…Jacob heard that his daughter Dinah had been defiled [rape]…”
- Heb. 12:15 “…bitter root grows up to cause trouble & defile many…
Jesus Makes You Forgiven & Clean
1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
= Physical rituals remind spiritual truths – white, dishes, laundry, shower, brush teeth, car wash, baptism, wash hands
- Blessed = Happy
#5. God Rewards the Faithful
Daniel 12:13 But go your way till the end. And you shall rest and shall stand in your allotted place at the end of the days.”
- Daniel never sought to be famous. Daniel sought to be faithful.
- Daniel did not see his longings fulfilled in this life (extend horizon)
2 Corinthians 5:10 we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.
- You cannot lose your salvation, but you can lose your rewards
- Mysterious: 1. Internal 2. External 3. Eternal
John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life.[a] Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
-Free ebook English/Spanish, lecture, notes, Q&A -social media markdriscoll.org
-Good News: Heaven – new series next week good news resurrection numbers