In the midst of what could be fearful circumstances, Pastor Mark brings a message of hope in Jesus despite the fear.
Christ and the Coronavirus
One word to describe this week, fear. Grace & I had our 32nd anniversary of our first date. We were out running errands. My events kept cancelling, standing outside Target I felt like God spoke
2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV) God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- Mob mentality vs fruit of the Spirit
Signs of fear
nervous twitch, brain fog, trouble sleeping, high blood pressure, stomach problems, tension headaches, chronic sickness, moments of unexpected anxiety, panic attacks, sadness, or anger? Death or suicide fantasies? Overly interested in end-times theology? Obsessing over news & making irrational decisions?
The Cause and Cure for Fear
Genesis 3:10 I was afraid
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
- Fear – anxiety – or even phobia – “you are not safe” – reveals what love/hate
- Something triggers our fear = stronghold
8 Reasons Fear is Often a Fraud
1. It is godless
- Future without God.
-Jesus Luke 12 “Do not be anxious about your life…Which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?…Why are you anxious…Do not…be worried.”
2. It is a false prophecy
3. It makes us selfish
- Consumed with self not concerned for others
4. It makes us ineffective
Jesus Matt. 25:24-26 Paralyzed from doing what we’re supposed to. Jesus tells of a man who was given money to invest but did nothing saying “I was afraid”.
5. It causes us to lose touch with reality
-Proverbs 22:13 “There is a lion outside! I shall be killed in the streets!”
- there’s a difference between prudence & paranoia
6. It causes us to seek to be God.
- Satan’s first temptation be “like God” = be the sovereign in control of our lives
7. It makes us double-minded and unstable
-James 1:5-8 “The one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind…he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”
8. It robs us.
- Jesus spoke of thief who “comes only to steal kill and destroy”
- Steals your health, hope, joy, sleep.
= What you fear may not happen, but fear can hurt you more than what you fear.
1. Greatest fear is death
2. People have questions
1 Peter 3:14-15 Have no fear…nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect
I answer your questions so you can answer their questions=ministry opportunity!
Pastor Mark, I fear death.
1 Corinthians 15:54-58 “Death is swallowed up in victory.” “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”…thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
Pastor Mark, I feel like things are out of control.
2 Timothy 1:7 God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Pastor Mark, I might get sick.
· Dr. Luke reports on Jesus the Great Physician
· Luke 4 Jesus says he’s filled w/Spirit to heal
· Not all Jesus healing miracles recorded Bible, 10X groups, + numerous individuals
· Acts 14 healing miracles in 12/28 chapters
Pastor Mark, I might die.
Philippians 1:21,23 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain….to depart and be with Christ…is far better.
Pastor Mark, we may not be able to come to church.
Hebrews 10:24-25 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
- Things are fluid, so we will reevaluate weekly
- If you are in a high-risk bracket, or scared, watch & give online & be wise
- You can also gather as family & small groups & watch sermon
- I’m using the free time to master plan a huge future
- As long as I have Internet, I will be preaching and teaching weekly.
Pastor Mark, I don’t know who to listen to right now.
John 11:25-26 Jesus said…, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
Faith or Fear?
Philippians 4:4-7 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
#1 Command – “fear not” for “I am with you”